Sunday, February 27, 2011

Distracted Driving


Seeing Casey's face on the Cover of the Newspaper

The DOT Video has taken off more than I could have imagined. I was interviewed for the local County paper and knew there would be a story. I walked into the convenience store and headed to the paper display racks. Then I saw Casey’s face on the front cover- three or four papers across with her sweet smile and face. I was in shock and numb as I paid for the papers. By the time I got to my car I broke down and just sat in the parking lot and cried as I have not done for several months. I became angry at the driver and then just sad and empty. I sat in my car watching people pulling into the parking lot for about twenty minutes before I could drive. Many were on hand-held cell phones, and some of those were smoking cigarettes at the same time. In several of the cars there were kids in the front seat with their parent driving and talking on the cell phone and in one case eating something and talking on the hand held cell. I presume that each driver is a good person, is loved by their friends and family ,and loves their family and friends. I know they are just like the driver that killed Casey, the drivers that killed all the others who were too young to die .They all never thought that they would be in an accident and that it was just “bad” people or really unlucky people who kill or maim while driving.


Related Links:
Faces of Distracted Driving Casey Video

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing the will power it sometimes takes not to answer a ringing cell phone - but now I always wait if my phone rings while I am a the wheel. I literally say to myself "whatever it is, it can wait". We live in a world that expects everything immediately. Instant phone or texting access to everyone. I hope that the DOT video helps more people make that conscious choice.

    ReplyDelete